Friday, August 29, 2014

Montana state mini - a finish Friday


Montana state mini

Another state mini finished!  This one is for the lovely state of Montana (where I very much desire to visit one day) and is supposed to depict Lake McDonald, known for its colorful rocks and pebbles.  I barely did it justice.  Just Google "Lake McDonald, Montana" and see what I mean.

I used tulle for the first time in the making of this mini.  I used it in layers to get the effect of depth of water while preserving a bit of reflection of the mountain.  I admit that tulle does make quilting over fused (or glued in the case of the rocks) bits much easier; however, unpicking any quilting on tulle is very difficult.  It is almost impossible to pick your stitches without getting a few of the tulle fibers cut too.

Only Louisiana and New York left to go.  I will have to tackle them after my Mom-cation.


Thanks for reading today,

Jen


Linking up with:


I Quilt @ Pretty Bobbins

10 comments:

  1. This is great, Jen! Love the reflection of the mountains!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reflection looks really great! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I love how you've done the lake xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely! Love the water /eflection effect you created!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty, I like your clouds too:-)
    Playing with Tulle is on my bucket list, I will remember to stitch it right the first time:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So awesome. I know I say that every time, but every time it is true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really liking this. And it's amazing how much that looks like water! Oh yeah, picking stitches out of tulle...definitely not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the contrast between the dreamy blues/lilacs and the colours of the autumn leaves. Very clever and eye catching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty! I'd love to go there too, but my list is very long!!! I've used tulle to suggest distance but never thought of it for water: it works really well!

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.