Sunday, June 1, 2014

Time to link and mail - Hands to Help charity quilt challenge

Happy Sunday!  If you joined the Hands 2 Help charity quilt drive over at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, today is the first day to link up your finished quilts for the drive.

I've been participating in the drive for 2 years now, and I always get such a good feeling from seeing all the quilts linked up and from mailing mine off to be used.

This year I am donating 2 quilts.  This quilt is headed off to Quilts of Compassion, a charity that gives quilts to all kinds of people, but tends to mobilize during times of national disaster, like the Oklahoma tornadoes, etc.


Hands 2 Help front


I am also donating my finished OBW QAL quilt to Happy Chemo.  Emily at Em's Scrapbag has challenged herself to donate 1500 quilts to Happy Chemo and this quilt will get her one quilt closer to her goal.  She has already donated over 600!


OBW finished
Starry Night One Block Wonder Quilt

Happy Chemo provides all kinds of services to those undergoing chemotherapy including providing quilts.  I think just about everyone has known someone who has had to be treated with chemotherapy.  I started donating a quilt a year to Happy Chemo when my niece was diagnosed with AML Leukemia.  I made her a quilt during her hospital stay and I think it helped having something homey in her room.  My mother also underwent chemo several years ago, and I just wish I could have sent her a quilt during her treatment, especially since I couldn't be there myself.  By donating each year, I know that one less person will go quilt-less during their treatment.

If you have any finished quilts hanging around without a home, consider donating to one of these charities or one near you.  It is truly a wonderful feeling.

Thanks for reading today,

Jen



8 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilts and for a great cause! The Hands 2 Help challenge is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starry night is just fantastic! A truly mesmerazing creation. Hope the person who will reciieve it, will understand how great artwork it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilts. They will brings lots and lots of comfort to someone very special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful cuddles for some folks who need cuddles

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer, you did a wonderful job with these two quilts! Both of them are beautiful and will be well-loved by the people who receive them. Thank you for joining in the challenge again this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely thing to do! What is the design of the QoC one? I can't zoom in yo see it properly?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, I'm just coming back again and again to look at Starry night again and again. AWEROME!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that OBW QAL quilt is amazing. I could spend hours look at all the different patterns.

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.