Sunday, September 8, 2013

Inspirational Sunday 5 - via the 2013 International Quilt Festival in Long Beach

This is week is for the dogs!

The first quilt is called "Who, Me?" by Ruth Powers of Carbondale, Kansas.

"Who Me?" by Ruth Powers of Carbondale, KS

It is machine pieced, free-motion machine quilted, and embellished.  She says, "This mischievous puppy has found a way to get noticed!  As a gardener and a dog lover, I have been there, done that!  As an art quilter, I jut had to piece this whimsical puppy whose photo I took one day.  The tulips were added from my imagination to set the scene in springtime, so I had a combination of a photo and a sketch to work from.  The fabrics are both commercial prints and hand-dyes.  Who, Me? is heavily free-motion machine quilted with a variety of threads to enhance the piece."

"Who Me?" by Ruth Powers, close up

Just look at the lovely free-motion quilting!  This picture also gives a hint to the piecing.

The second quilt had me chuckling.  While I have a cat and not a dog, I can still relate to the mischief that pets get into.  The quilt is called "Crime Scene Investigation" by Pauline Salzman of Treasure Island, Florida.  It won 2nd place in the Art-Whimsical division.  It is fused appliqued and machine quilted.

"Crime Scene Investigation" by Pauline Salzman of Treasure Island, FL

It was Pauline's original design and even her description had me laughing, "Their stories are written as told.  These are the facts and nothing but the facts.  Someone else did the damage.  Not them; they are innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.  Plus, they are too cute to do anything bad....just ask them."

"Crime Scene Investigation" by Pauline Salzman, close up 1

The free-motion quilting on this one is amazing too, but the little "confessions/excuses" are hilarious.

"Crime Scene Investigation" by Pauline Salzman, close up 2

What kind of mischief do your pets get into?

Thanks for reading today,

Jen


1 comment:

  1. both gorgeous! we have cats - they trot
    in, meoww meow, meow, so pleasedthey have caught a mouse, a vole or A bird, and seem astonished that we aren't delighted, forgetting that we weren't delighted last time, or time before, prevented time before that, actually, EVER!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.