Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Going to pieces - WIP Wednesday

I had a lovely time at the Road to California quilt show last week, but it has taken me a few days to get back in the swing of things.  Partly because I caught a cold while there, returned to a household of similar colds, had a mountain of laundry waiting for me, and, well, you get the idea.  I do plan on reviewing the classes I took while at the show, but first I figured I should finish one of the actual projects first.

This is what I've been working on:

Discontinuity WIP

This is a pattern by Emily Cier called "Discontinuity".  I am only 4/5 of the way finished with the baby sized quilt top, which has 723 individual pieces to it (according to the cutting directions - for the baby quilt!!!).  I can't write a review yet because 1) I'm not done, 2) I'm not done cursing it yet, and 3) I think more cursing might be coming as the top hasn't had a single seam pressed yet (Emily recommends waiting until the entire top is completed).

I realize that sounds pretty negative, so let me say something positive.  I adore the look of this pattern, and I know of a much easier way to piece it for future quilts.  However, I paid my money, so I played along with the original directions.  Curse me. Curse, curse, curse.

This Wednesday...

Completed Projects:
  • Bee Blocks - Lucky Stars BOM practice block and sample/tutorial block for the We Bee Learning bee

On-going Projects:

AKA - "stuff I plan to touch this week or next".
  • My Blue & White One Block Wonder -This is my January UFO - decided I had to go with what I had for backing. 
  • Bee Blocks & BOM blocks - Skill Builder BOM blocks
  • Star of Africa Bee - catch up continues  
  • Curves Class goodies - I haven't done a single project yet.  So sad!  My printer won't allow me to print anything at the moment, so I can't print any of the templates needed for the majority of the projects.  Ugh, technology!
  • Discontinuity Quilt - I didn't quite finish the first 1/2 of the baby quilt in class, and I am STILL working on it.  Tomorrow may be the day if I don't throw it out the window.

Back Burner:

These will likely be touched in a couple of weeks.
  • Handstitched Medallion Quilt - quilting in progress.  I actually did a little bit of this one on my trip!
  • Beginner Quilt Along at Quilting Gallery - top needs to be put together. It is ridiculous that I haven't just slapped this one together yet.  I am taking Leah Day's Craftsy class how to quilt a sampler hoping to get some good quilting ideas.
  • Charity quilt for the guild - not started.   
  • NEW Baby quilt - two friends are having a babies soon, and it sounds like a perfect reason to make a couple new quilts, right?  
The Back, Back Burner:

Lightning would have to strike twice, but I like to keep this category going just to remind me what I have in the pipeline.
  • Handstitched goodies - several small projects in limbo.  
  • Star Circles aka New York Beauty blocks - time is coming to get back to these

This week's stats:
Completed projects - 1 ish
New projects - 0
Currently in Progress - 5

Don't forget to link up any blocks you have been working on to the Building Blocks Tuesday post!

And as always, thanks for reading,

Jen

Quilter in the Closet

Linking up with
 WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced


12 comments:

  1. Oh dear Jen, I hope that your Discontinuity experience improves before you and the quilt part company!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors in this quilt! It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that top. I hope you get done cursing soon. I too am currently cursing a project

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowzers - that's a lot of pieces!! Kudos to you for even attempting it! It is looking good, love the colors. Good luck with the pressing - I hope there isn't too much need for cursing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quilt top does look very cool! I guess if you quit on it you could make it into a wall hanging:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks fab Jen! I love Emily's patterns, but I agree there are way easier ways to piece a lot of them. I have enigma waiting for some time to make it, but I'm trying to figure out how to get around all the strips, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello :)

    I have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award!

    I am a new follower, but I know a good thing when I see it and would like to share with others.

    see my blog for details ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it -- thanks to Scrapaches for turning me on to this blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the quilt top, and can totally relate to the catching a cold at Road. My week has been pretty low key here. Good luck with the top, and kudos to you for playing nicely, and when you figure out a better plan, I'm interested.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, that's a fab top, and yummy colours. So not quilted yet? I was admiring the "quilting"? So was it much wider initially and then folded and stitched? Hang on, 700 and something pieces? You stitched all the narrow strips together? Ok I have two W words for you

    WOW - the points are perfects, it's awesome

    WHY? (lol) as a self taught patch worker I look at quilts and see how I would make them, and this one would have been big blocks of fabric and quilting lines!

    I hugely admire what you achieved, but know I wouldn't have the patience! Sorry ramble over! X

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.