Tuesday, March 27, 2012

March Free Motion Challenge

This month's motif for Sew Cal Gal's Free Motion Challenge was, in a word, "liberating".  After reading some comments on the Facebook page of participants that thought the motif was too easy and "a step back", I was concerned, but once I started practicing I realized it was FUN.  Isn't that what it is supposed to be?  Here's this month's placemat (made from scraps from my Easter baskets which I will post about later this week):
the Front

A close up

the Back

I found that some of the motifs were easier to draw and sew, but I actually had quite a time with the stars.  My brain only wants to draw stars starting and finishing at the bottom, which didn't flow too well with the meandering loops.  Perhaps with more practice, I could train myself to figure out a star from whichever point I started on.

I found these easy, notebook type motifs liberating, especially after last month's feathers, because they were relaxed and allowed the pictures to just flow out of my hands.  Petal on a flower crooked? That's OK, it adds to the whimsy of it!  Line of stitching crossed completely over a flower to get where I was going?  That's OK too!  This month's challenge reminded me that free motion can be relaxing and fun and you don't necessarily have to follow a bunch of rules to get the job done.  I enjoyed it!

I also got a chance to try out my new SewSlip mat, which I will write a review about once I get to try it out on a larger project.  And, I tried out a new method for machine binding, which I will post about later this week.

Quilt On!

2 comments:

  1. You have done really well....I have only had my blog for a short time and still wondering if it a good idea or not. You should be proud of yourself, there are a lot of quilters out there that are not sure enough of themselves to do any FMQ I know I am one of them.Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing what you do in the future:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your FMQ. I had planned on taking part in the challenge, but I just haven't found the time. I will catch up eventually :)

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.